Mar 31, 2011

How to eat healthy for the cheap

Ok, so our food budget ran a little low this past week. I had to get creative. Here's how $60 got the two of us through 5 days of eating (and no, there were no Mr. Noodles involved). I'm just going to list dinners, as 90% of the time we eat leftovers from the night before for lunch:

Saturday:
Spicy red lentils and rice

Sunday:

Hearty vegetarian bean stew & multigrain rolls



Monday:
Tofu eggplant green curry and rice


Tuesday:
Pasta with homemade tomato-veggie-basil sauce

Wednesday:
Sushi (at a restaurant, total bill: $17)

Thursday:
Vegan lasagne

Sadly, the budget didn't allow for any beer this week. A true travesty. Note that there's also no meat involved, for 2 reasons: 1, I have a pretty great man who is totally willing to eat veg with me (most of the time) and 2, meat is expensive, veggies and beans are cheap. If you're spending too much on food, cut meat out of your diet a couple times a week. And I'm not just saying that because I'm a crazy hippie. You'll save money, for reals! I'll post some of these recipes soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment