Mar 29, 2011

Reclaimed light fixture

Look out - I'm getting artsy. This usually doesn't work out well. But fingers crossed.

I got this idea from the latest issue of Sunset magazine, which had a feature on using recycled materials in the garden, including an old glass light fixture-turned-planter:



It just so happened that we had two old ceiling light fixtures sitting outside from our renovations. I'd originally put them on Craigslist, but didn't get any bites (who knew - there just isn't a huge demand for 1970s gold-rimmed light fixtures). I thought about just throwing them out, but felt guilty because they were both still functioning and so ended up holding onto them. When I came across this photo I got inspired and headed outside to see what I could do:




And there ya go - crappy 70s light fixtures become glass planters! It was pretty simple - one snip through the wires and they just unscrewed.  I'll probably end up throwing out the wires, but at least the entire fixtures won't end up in the landfill.

No comments:

Post a Comment